ILLINOIS ASSOCIATION OF HOUSING AUTHORITIES
EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE GRANT
The Central Illinois Council of the Illinois Association of Housing Authorities has elected to implement an Educational Assistance Grant Program. The program will be administered by the Central Council. The money may be used for tuition, books, approved activity fees, necessities, or work programs and other items at the discretion of the sponsoring Council. The application requirements and grant rules are as follows:
- Student must have maintained at least a 2.0 grade point average during junior and senior years (except G.E.D.).
- Student must be recommended by the Housing Authority’s Executive Director. All applications must be submitted by the Executive Director only. The Executive Director is responsible for verifying all application requirements and collecting all application materials. Local promotion of the Grant Program is the responsibility of the Executive Director.
- Applications must include: 1) school transcript or proof of G.E.D. completion; 2) two teacher recommendations; 3) an essay (200 words) by the student explaining his/her goals and how the grant would be used; and 4) the Executive Directors comments.
- Additional recommendations from clergy, counselors and others may be submitted.
- Provide list of schools to which student has applied. Proof of subsequent admission will be required.
- Student must provide a description of extra-curricular activities, awards, community services, employment and other accomplishments.
- If the lease holder is the recipient of this scholarship, he/she must be in good standing and remain in good standing with the Housing Authority. The recipient will continue to be eligible to receive payments if he/she moves out of the Housing Authority.
- Deadline for receipt of application materials is January 17, 2019. ENCLOSE ALL MATERIALS and forward to the Executive Director of your Housing Authority.
- Grant will be awarded for academic year 2019-2020.
Please click here to view the application.