DID YOU KNOW OVER HALF OF ILLINOIS HOUSEHOLDS RELY ON NON-WAGE INCOME?
WHAT IS HB 2775?
House Bill 2775, or HB 2775 for short, is a law that adds “source of income” to the list of protected classes under the Fair Housing Act. This is state-wide legislation, and Illinois is now the newest state to have this law. This law has been signed by the state House of Representatives and the State Senate.
As soon as J.B. Pritzker signs the bill, it will go into effect on January 1, 2023.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
It means people with non-wage incomes, like alimony and child support, will have the same legal protections against discrimination based on race. In other words, a landlord cannot have an income requirement for any tenant or single out a potential tenant and reject that person based on the source of income used.
WHO BENEFITS FROM THIS?
- FAMILIES WITH HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHERS.
- VETERANS USING VETERANS BENEFITS OR VOUCHERS FOR VETERANS.
- FAMILIES USING ALIMONY AND CHILD SUPPORT TO MAKE PAYMENTS.
- SENIORS AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES WHO USE SOCIAL SECURITY FUNDS.
- PEOPLE USING RENTAL SUBSIDIES TO FLEE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.
LEARN MORE AT THESE SOURCES